I’ve made good use over the last few years of the Citadel Texture range of paints, getting some fast and pretty great looking base schemes completed. Over the last week I’ve turned my hobby time attention to Frostgrave and as such, wanted to try to get the basing done for my girlfriend’s necromancer and apprentice before moving onto my own wizard and apprentice. In this post I want to show what I’ve done and briefly talk about a new paint I tried to get a snowy effect.
I had previously used Citadel’s Astrogranite Debris on these miniatures to create a base stone effect and a quick wash of Agrax Earthshade to give the rock more definition and an earthy tone. As Frostgrave is set in a Frozen city, I knew I had to add some snow to the base somehow. After a quick search online, I found Citadel’s “Valhallan Blizzard” technical paint. One quick visit to my F.L.G.S later and I had a pot.
At first I thought my pot had dried out but I quickly discovered the paint was usable. Unlike other citadel textured paints which I’d used previously, my pot of Valhallan Blizzard was much more solid/ clumped together. My panic quickly subsided however when I was able to easily manipulate the paint using a brush.
To use the paint I took clump on my brush and applied it directly to the base of the miniature, then smoothed out the edges to create a snow melt effect. I also took a very small amount and added it to the top of the skulls, making it look like snow had previously covered them but had melted a bit. All in all, working with the technical paint was very simple.
I have to say, I’m very happy with how these bases turned out! The snow effect was easy to apply and I think looks great. Though quite pricey at £4.50 a pot, Citadel’s Valhallan Blizzard Technical paint was quick, easy to use and produced the exact result I wanted for these miniatures. Needless to say I will be using the rest of the pot to produce a snowy effect on the rest of the Frostgrave miniatures. I’d say for quick convenience it’s worth the cost, however if you have any cheaper alternative snow effect suggestions, then please let me know in the comments or send me a tweet.
Supplemental (Later that evening…)
After staring at the photographs of the necromancer for a few hours and hating the face, I decided it needed to be fixed… or at least improved so she doesn’t look quite like a bloody gremlin.
Eh, it’s a little better. This one is getting a healthy dollop of “Sod it, that will do.”